Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A Good Plan is in the Works

Candy: So, here's what we've decided.

We're planning to leave Corpus Christi tomorrow for northern California (and, of course, parts in between). We are planning to stop in El Paso as well as in New Mexico and Arizona before arriving at Eureka, California, on the 28th.

That means tomorrow will be a day of last-minute laundry, taking down the tent, and repacking the El for the trip.

We have reserved a Kabin for one week at the KOA in Eureka (which, of course, means "I found it!"). I have to say, I for one am really looking forward to sleeping indoors.

Eureka, on the coast in northern California, will give us many good opportunities to visit some beautiful places and should provide excellent fodder for great photographs.

Here's a glimpse of our proposed itinerary through the end of April. Of course, this is tentative and subject to change (our standard disclaimer).

March 23-28: Drive and explore our way to Eureka
March 28-April 4: Explore northern California and coastline
April 4-18: Rent a beach house in Oregon (exact location TBA)
April 18-23: Drive and explore our way to Minnesota
April 23-30: Spend time with our family and speak at the Sport Marketing class at Minnesota-Moorhead

We spent about 5 hours at the bookstore today. It was great--nice to sit in a clean, pleasant environment and think, read, and work on the computer.

I began thinking seriously about my photography website today. Many of you know that I have had a site for several years, and that I haven't updated it in at least two years (disgusting!). I have a plan for it, now, and am on the way to having a better design for it as well.

Tim did some more reading and note-taking in the Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality book by Dr. Henry Cloud. He loves it and has learned a ton from it already.

I wrote a couple of short pieces based on my childhood memories. I thought I'd share one with you tonight.

Here goes. This one's named Jill Drags Clint and is a true story.

I’m eight or nine. It’s summertime and I’m in the haymow of our barn. I’m playing in the loose hay and trying to ignore my brothers. Jim, my older brother, is doing something down in the barn below me and Clint, my younger brother, is riding Jill, one of our mules.

Suddenly, I hear some yelling and crying. I run to the door of the haymow that faces the house and I see Jill running down the driveway between the barn and the house. Clint is yelling for help as he bounces along on his stomach behind Jill. She’s running at a full gallop and he looks like he’s trying to belly ski on gravel.

“He’s not smart enough to let go of the reins,” I think to myself. “I hope he doesn’t get hurt really bad.”

Jim has heard Clint yelling, too, and now we’re both watching him get dragged down the driveway. We scramble out of the barn and run to where Clint is getting up. He’s finally let go of the reins, thank goodness. He’s still crying and it’s getting louder.

Mom has heard the commotion and comes out of the house. Jim and I are trying to see if Clint’s hurt or not, and Mom comes running over.

“What have you two done to him now?” she demands.

“Nothing,” we say. “He fell off Jill and didn’t let go of the reins. We didn’t do anything to him.”

Jill, meanwhile, has run down the driveway to the road and now Jim and I have to go catch her and put her back in the pasture.

“Why does Clint always jump off when the mule starts running?” I think to myself.


Oh well. At least after we catch Jill we’ll have even more ammo to use when we tease Clint.

Well, that's it. Chase is getting ready to hit it and I guess we will, too. Off to see West Texas tomorrow.

PS: No photo tonight because it's not letting me upload it. Sorry.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's hilarious, Martha. Sorry.

How are things?

Candy

3/23/2006 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home