Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Rices make a "run for the border"


Tim: No, we didn't go to Taco Bell. We actually drove down to the Mexican border today to walk across the bridge over the Rio Grande into Reynosa, Mexico. The trip from Corpus Christi was about two hours and we needed to have more to mark on our big wall travel calendar when we actually get a home somewhere. We parked at the border crossing for three bucks. It was interesting...it is a quarter to cross the bridge to Mexico and 3o cents to come back. We did both in less than half an hour. Needless to say, Reynosa was not very charming and the Rio Grande is quite muddy. People were swimming in it, though, so I guess they did not have a problem with it.

I drove the first half of the trip today. I had a chance to listen to music and check out all of the cactus plants and birds flying around in what seems to be the always strong winds that blow down here. I am always amazed at how out in the middle of a desert-like area I can be totally amazed by nature. It made me think about how hawks and other birds were made to fly...that it is their purpose for being. It may seem simple to some, but that is what Candy and I are searching for right now...what our purpose is. We are searching for even more than what our purpose is...we are also searching for where that purpose will take us next. It has been good for both of us to think more about these things lately.

The picture above was taken by Candy tonight here in Corpus Christi at sundown. Isn't she amazing? She had been waiting for the perfect moment to take this picture. Looks like she found it!

By the way, for those of you wondering how Chase, our wonder dog, is doing, I have asked him to type up his thoughts. Here goes:

ufdefvmspvjgn[sodhvf[sdmvsdjnvsodvspdkpso

Yeah, I had a tough time reading it at first, too. I will decipher it for everyone:

"I am enjoying myself thoroughly! Lots of running around, swimming, chasing tennis balls, riding in the car...yeah, good times. I am a little miffed about not going into Mexico with my peeps, but I will get to go to "New" Mexico shortly and I think it will be nicer. Man, I am tired. I think I will crash now."

I do not know who raised that dog, but he is pretty doggone smart...he recently aced his PSAT's (puppy scholastic aptitude test). He should get into the finest schools in the country. I think "Aunt" Martha Schettler should be commended for her work with Chase during the always awesome "Camp Martha".

As I type this post, I have just finished listening to some of Candy's recent writing. I laughed so hard I almost got sick.

Now, onto to the last of the serious stuff. We have not decided where we are heading next from here. We have looked at vacation rentals for the Pacific Northwest and may make our choice tomorrow. Stay tuned on that one...

Until we post again, have a great day and do what we have started to do...

Laugh a little!

4 Comments:

Blogger dorothy among the munchkins said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/22/2006 12:37 AM  
Blogger dorothy among the munchkins said...

More awesome pictures, as always. Enjoying your thoughts and the references...I definitely need to look at the ice-cream book (but only on Saturday)!!! Keep 'em coming! (As for my identity, if the ice-cream comment didn't reveal it, just think of me the next time Coach Rice does his Syd Bristow impersonation down a Wal*Mart isle...bomp bomp bomp bomp...)

3/22/2006 12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lenora.

That's who we were thinking it was. Especially because of the reference to Oz. :)

Glad to read your witty and poignant comments...keep 'em coming!

Hope all's well in Oz and that the munchkins are treating you well.

Candy & Tim

3/22/2006 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, what's going on with you two crazies? I just finished class and read all your posts! I didn't realize you would post so much and so often, so it was good to catch up on what you have been doing. We had our first meeting for the Italy trip yesterday, so I'm finally getting a bit excited about that amongst the schoolwork and graduation preparations. Take care and I'll check back in soon!

3/22/2006 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home