Sunday, March 26, 2006

From Hoover Dam to the Inyo Forest

Candy: For the past few days Tim and I have been asking each other what the top 10 things are that we've seen so far since leaving Hiram.

That day's sights have usually made the list.

Today topped the list, no question. We drove over Hoover Dam and stopped to look at the amazing feat of engineering. Talk about a lot of concrete. It was pretty spectacular, though it did make me think about what it has done to the people who live downstream.

Then we headed up the west side of Nevada. Talk about a lot of desert. The road was mostly flat and fairly straight. There was a kind of rugged beauty to it, though, with the various hills and the desert vegetation.

Then we turned onto a road that traveled through a small mountain range and we saw some breathtaking vistas. I think I captured a really great photo of the white-capped mountains we saw as we hit the summit of the small range (above).

We were at about 7,000 feet elevation for the whole time, and there was snow on the ground all around us. While it was cool to see after being in the desert for several days, we certainly don't miss living in snow.

My favorite memories from today will include the stillness of the mountains, the snow-covered peaks, and the vast amount of concrete at Hoover Dam.

On to Mono Lake tomorrow, and Yosemite. Then to Eureka on Tuesday, where we'll stay for a week.

We're staying in a hotel tonight in Bishop, California. It's nice to stay again in a place that has a bathroom and shower attached to the room. :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't realize how much I missed the mountains 'til I saw your great photos! Keep 'em comin'!
Joyful

3/27/2006 1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Coach and Candy! Welcome to Monday of week 11 in my world! I went home for the weekend to see my sister because her spring break began and she won't be able to be home with the family for Easter, so I enjoyed that. Other than that, just watching my bracket go to the pot...I already threw it away cause it's worthless to me. It sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time and seeing so many incredible sights! Take care!

3/27/2006 7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say hi guys and I am enjoying the blog. Hope the trip continues to be a safe one and you guys continue to get alot out of it. Take care!
DQ

3/27/2006 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey everyone.

Thanks for the great comments. We love reading them.

Mom- Will do. We were thinking of you yesterday as each amazing vista unfolded.

Josh- Glad that you were able to get home to see your sister. I know you have only 2 weeks to go and then it's off to Italy, right? You'll have to blog that trip and for sure share photos with me from your shiny new camera. :)

Martha- We'll certainly see what we can do. The road through Yosemite is closed due to snow and another storm is on the way tonight, so I'm not sure just how much we're going to be able to see today, but we'll do what we can.

Dan- Thanks for the kind words. Glad you're enjoying our blog.

Tim & Candy

3/27/2006 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home