Sunday, August 27, 2006

A Day of Rest

Candy: Today was truly a day of rest. We hung around the house until mid-afternoon or so, then drove to St. Cloud for some much-needed internet time at the B&N.

We're definitely web junkies, and not having access at the house these days is very difficult for us to handle.

One note of interest today: I got an email from the hiring manager at Bowdoin College in Maine. I had applied for their Director of Media Relations position and they want to do a phone interview with me this week. For those of you who aren't familiar with Bowdoin, it's a private liberal arts college to which many of America's best and brightest young academics go for their undergraduate education. The job would be incredible.

I haven't taken many new photos in the past few days, so I went through my files as far back as 2001, when I had my first digital camera, a 1MB Sony Mavica. It was so much fun to use back then, but those files are not really usable at all these days. That's why some of the pictures on today's post are smaller than usual. Oh well, it's fun to go back and look at them.

I love the fireworks photo at the top of the post. It's from a fireworks show at Hiram last summer after the golf outing. I was testing our (then new) pocket point-&-shoot Sony.

This photo is one of my favorite old photos too. I took it in the rundown yard at our Mantua rental house in Ohio. I love the juxtaposition between the garbage barrel and the plethora of flowers surrounding it. This is a really old picture from 2001. I spent a few days that spring driving around Virginia with Chase, visiting places like James Madison University, UVA, and the home of Thomas Jefferson while Tim was at the Division III Final Four in Salem. This is a shot of the blossoming tree-lined drive near James Madison.This next picture is a really old photo, too. During Tim's Fall Break while we were at Grove City in 2001 we made a camping trip to Vermont. This covered bridge with the sumac in the foreground really caught my eye.The last picture in this post is a train parked on the tracks that I used to see every day we drove back and forth between Grove City, PA and Hiram, OH during Tim's first year. I always meant to stop and take a really great photo of it, but we were always either in a hurry or I didn't have the camera with me. Something. At any rate, one day I hurriedly pulled over the side of the road and hopped out to snap this photo.

Something about the worn-out colors of the freight cars, the not-so-pretty pond of water in the foreground, the power lines that are reminiscent of prison bars, and the barren trees really symbolized how we were feeling about working at Hiram and driving so much. Well, as I sit here sipping my Starbucks Strawberries & Cream I have to admit I'm out of material. Guess that's it for tonight. Enjoy your week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home